Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The natural gas experiment - the beginning

Today I read about an interesting and simple trading strategy: "Go long and short at the same time and you will always make profit!" Hard to believe - it simply sounds to easy. Then I started making the math...

I assumed I start with $100 on a not yet defined asset. I open a short and a long trade simultaneously and calculate the value of each trade when the asset changes its value. Than I calculated my overall equity and the resulting loss/gain. I did that for two scenarios: Asset is bullish and asset is bearish. You can see the results in the following table (upper is bullish, lower is bearish):





First I was surprised that it really seems to work. Then I found the explanation: When you loose 10% on a trade you need to gain 11% to get your original value back. This difference is your gain when you go short and long at the same time. The calculation shows that the overall profit is rather small: If the asset moves 10% the equity would only gain 0,45% in a bullish market and 0,56% in a bearish market respectively. But: There is never a loss!

Of course the calculation is ideal: No spread, no fees, no taxes. But I thought it is worth trying. In order to get close to the ideal case above I searched for assets on eToro that neither have fees, nor an expiration date. I found several possibilities and picked natural gas. I have never traded this commodity before and I didn't intend to do it in the near future. So I thought it's a good idea, since I don't mix the trades up with other manual trades.

I opened two trades - one short one long - with approximately 2,5% of my total equity for each trade. I kept the stop losses wide open so that the strategy is properly applied. Unfortunately the price for natural gas changed right after I opened the first trade, so they are not exactly synchronous. But one pip difference shouldn't ruin my experiment. In order to achieve higher gains than the ones shown in the tables above, I choose a leverage of 10 for both trades. Of course I had to pay the spread (10 pips), so both trades are red. Now I hope natural gas will go up or down, so that I can see if my calculations were right.

The status right after opening the trades was:
sell trade: -3,67%
buy trade: -3,33%
overall: -3,5%

What do you think about this experiment? Do you believe it can work? Let me know your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. Am short of words for the amazing profit you helped me earn in just a week with binary options strategy am so sorry I doubted at the beginning, I invested $200 and earn $2,500 in just one week, and kept on investing more, today I am financially successful, you can contact him via email: tdameritrade077@gmail.com
    Via whatsapp: (+12166263236)
    I advice you shouldn't hesitate. He's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. <Recording success in Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin is not just buying and holding till when bitcoin sky-rocks, this has been longed abolished by intelligent traders ,mostly now that bitcoin bull is still controlling the market after successfully defended the $20,000 support level once again and this is likely to trigger a possible move towards $40,000 resistance area However , it's is best advice you find a working strategy by hub/daily signals that works well in other to accumulate and grow a very strong portfolio ahead. I have been trading with Mr Bernie doran daily signals and strategy, on his platform, and his guidance makes trading less stressful and more profit despite the recent fluctuations. I was able to easily increase my portfolio in just 3weeks of trading with his daily signals, growing my 0.9 BTC to 2.9BTC. Mr Bernie’s daily signals are very accurate and yields a great positive return on investment. I really enjoy trading with him and I'm still trading with him, He is available to give assistance to anyone who love crypto trading and beginners in bitcoin investment , I would suggest you contact him on WhatsApp : + 1424(285)-0682 , Gmail : (Bernie.doranfx01) or Telegram : bernie_fx for inquiries , Bitcoin is taking over the world

    ReplyDelete